When a reimbursement is requested by an individual (or organization), the university is assuming pocession for those products or services. In this process, the university takes ownership of the original receipt of purchase. For this reason, certain requirements must be met to ensure that a valid receipt is transferred to UNLV.
An original receipt is required for reimbursement. If receipts are lost and not obtainable through the internet or other methods, the requestor may use the Affidavit of lost Reciept to claim reimbursement. There is no exception. The Affidavit of lost receipt form is to be used by Employees, Students and Registered Volunteers. Affidavit of lost Receipts does not apply to ISP's/Guests/Candidates/Other. Original receipts are required for all reimbursement requests.
An acceptable receipt contains all five of the following attributes. Any receipt that does not include all of the required information is not acceptable as a receipt for reimbursement.
The vendor business name.
- If not printed on the receipt, ask the vendor to stamp/print the business name on the receipt or attach his/her business card.
A description of what was purchased.
- If a description is not included on the receipt, attach an itemized description of the item(s) purchased.
- If, for example, a meeting registration was paid for and the receipt does not specify the organizationís name, date, or cost of the meeting, attach a copy of the complete meeting announcement to the payment document which states that information.
- If a hosted meal/event is being reimbursed, the names and affiliations of those hosted and the purpose for the meal/event needs to be included on the payment document.
The total amount paid.
- When purchasing an item for UNLV, ask the vendor to ring up the sale as "tax-exempt." UNLV is exempt from paying state sales tax provided the sale is made in-state.
- A copy of the tax exempt certificate can be obtained here under "Resources".
- If the vendor charges sales tax, the payer will still be reimbursed.
The method of payment.
- When paid in cash, the receipt must indicate "cash."
- When paid by check, include the check number, the date of the check, and the name of the bank the check was drawn on.
- If a credit card was used, the credit card receipt or the original vendor receipt indicating "credit card/Visa/MC/etc." must be provided.
- If the payment method states Mastercard the receipt must show the last three digits of the credit card used.
The date of purchase.
- Reimbursement for receipts over one year old must receive approval from the University President before submitting the document to A/P for processing.
A tip for hosted (in or out of state) or Group/Team's (in travel status) meal service at a restaurant up to 20 percent of the meal cost will be reimbursed. For buffet service, the maximum tip reimbursement is $1.00 per person. Meal tips are calculated on the total meal before taxes. Tips are only reimbursable on detailed receipts. NOTE: Tips are not reimbursable for alcohol purchases.
Alteration of Receipts
If there is the appearance that a receipt was illegally tampered with, the document will be referred to the appropriate authority for action. Reimbursement and/or any other travel action will be suspended until the investigation is complete.
In the event a receipt is lost, the person who lost the receipt may submit an Affidavit of Lost/Unavailable Receipts. The Affidavit may not be used for conference registrations, airline tickets, car rental or hotel (folio) receipts. For these, a duplicate detailed receipt needs to be obtained from the vendor to receive reimbursement. All information requested on the Affidavit must be completed and signed by the person requesting reimbursement (not someone else signing on behalf of the person requesting reimbursement). In addition, the Affidavit needs to be approved by the requestor's supervisor. When completed and signed, attach the Affidavit to the payment document requesting reimbursement (Payment Voucher or Travel Document).
Should there be a power failure or for any reason a cash register receipt cannot be provided by the vendor, request the vendor complete a cash receipt which needs to include each of the above five attributes.
Paper clips increase the chance for a lost receipt! To ensure a receipt is not separated from the payment document, staple it to the document. If the receipt is smaller than 8 1/2" x 11", tape the receipt to an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper, be careful not to tape over printed information as the tape will cause the reciept ink to fade or disapear. Illegible receipts may be disallowed reimbursement.
An original receipt is required since UNLV is "buying" that receipt from the purchaser. If the receipt is not to be totally reimbursed, the purchaser may keep the original for tax purposes. The purchaser must then submit a LEGIBLE copy of the receipt for the partial reimbursement and state on the receipt "Original Retained by purchaser - Not Previously Paid - Partial Reimbursement" and sign and date this statement. A copy of the original receipt without this explanation or an explanation why the original receipt was not provided may not be accepted by UNLV.